Debate travels to the Lone-Star State

Brett Zimmerman, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Lansing Debate and Forensics squad made the trek south to Texas to compete at a Tournament of Champions (TOC) bid tournament held at Colleyville Heritage High.

This is the sixth national circuit debate tournament that the policy debate team has attended this year and the first for the public forum debate teams.

Juniors Maddie Souser and Chloe Kautt, Senior William Strickland, and Freshman Lucas Daniels all competed in the public forum division winning a very respectable 4 debates between the four of them.

The policy debate team has developed a prolific reputation in the national circuit in recent years with respectable showings at tournaments in Oklahoma, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida, and now Texas. 

“You get to debate teams from all over the country and compete for a bid to the tournament of champions which is this tournament that all the best debaters in the nation, who have acquired two bids can go to.” said Maddie Atkins, Junior, when asked about the appeal of competing at such a high level.

Atkins and Amber Dawson, Senior, finished with a 6-1 record, making it to quarterfinals before being knocked out one win short of a bid to the TOC for the second time this season. Seniors Marcus Woodcock and Brett Zimmerman finished with a 3-2 record, narrowly missing the cut for octofinals.

Despite coming up short both Atkins-Dawson and Zimmerman-Woodcock have much to look forward to in the near future. Both partnerships will attend the Catholic Forensics League National Tournament, another national tournament that requires qualification, in May and will have another shot at a TOC bid in a few weeks at Iowa City West High School for the Kanellis Invitational.