Athletes Get Back to Work

Fall sports athletes finish their first week of practice

Riley Phillips, Editor-in-Chief

After complete the first full week of school, student-athletes, who play a fall sport, have also finished their first week of tryouts and practice. These athletes spent the summer in the weight room, in the gym, and on the field in order to prepare for their upcoming seasons. “The first week of practice went well. We have been working hard in the gym and in the wight room to get better. We have also been primarily focusing on the pass and serve part of the game,” said Senior Caroline Crawford. This will be Crawford’s last time playing with her high school coaches and teammates. “I have so many mixed emotions about it being my last year of high school volleyball. I am mainly excited to see what this team can do this year if we continue to work hard,” said Crawford. This years 2019-2020 Volleyball Team is filled with college committed athletes ranging from the NAIA level to D1 level.

The football team is rolling full steam ahead in preparation for their football jamboree, a new tradition started this year, due to new KSHSAA rules. “The first practices went good. The team was more focused and organized than we were the year before,” said Junior Liam Terry. The Lions will take on Washington, Eudora, Tonganoxie, and Paola on Friday night at Home at 5 o’clock. “I think if everybody stays healthy and the team stays organized, the season will good great,” said Terry.

Cross Country started racking up the miles in the scorching hot weather. “The first week not practice went pretty god. We did lots of pool workouts and regular running workouts. It was super hot though,” said Sophomore Allison Muzzy This years team has eight seniors who will make a huge impact on the team. The team is also welcomed with a new coach, Chrissy Robinson, who has an experienced background in running.

Girls tennis has a stacked team and is hoping for the same outcome as last year, Regional Champs. This will be possible with there returning varsity stars.

Boys soccer is hoping for a better outcome than last year, with hopes of a semi-winning record.

Overall things are looking in the Lin’s direction for their fall sports line up.

Games will be in full swing by the first and second week of September.