Benefits of Yoga

Mykala Caraccilo

Aside from a fun activity, yoga has many benefits for the human body, both psychological and physical.

Some basic yoga terminology:

• Asana: seat; yoga posture
  • Bhakti: devotion
  • Chakra: energy center; the basic system has seven chakras
  • Pranayama: breath control; breathing exercises
  • Shanti: peace
  • Yama: five living principles that make up the ethical and moral foundation of yoga; they include Satya (truth), Ahimsa (nonviolence), Asteya (not stealing), Bramacharya (self control and sexual responsibility) and Aparigraha (not grasping)
  • Yogi/Yogini: a male/female practitioner of yoga

Physical Benefits:

Yoga promotes health in many different ways. The relaxation techniques provided in yoga have been proven to make immaculate improvements to a person’s physical health, but more specifically chronic pain such as lower back pain, arthritis, headaches, and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Back pain is one of the most common health problems in the United States, according to health.harvard.edu. While most may want to stay in bed for longer because of back pain, doctors no longer recommend this. Yoga is something that can alleviate this pain though, increasing the flexibility and muscle strength.

Joint pain can also make it difficult for a person to be active, but yoga is one thing that can provide a gentle form of exercise that helps improve range of motion and strengthen the muscles around the joint.

Some other physical benefits are increased flexibility, increased muscle tone and strength, lower blood pressure, reduced insomnia, weight reduction, improved athletic performance, and protection from injury.

Psychological Benefits: 

There are many mental benefits that yoga has to offer people. One of the major one is that it moves you from the sympathetic nervous system to the parasympathetic nervous system. Or in other words is turns your body from fight or flight mode, to digest and rest mode.

Yoga also helps people build a sense of self. Through yoga many people create better relationships with themselves and gain a more confident, balanced, and healthy ego.

Lastly yoga helps people build better relationships with one another. When people become more centered and peaceful with themselves, they become the same way with other people. This will do amazing things especially if an individual has problems creating relationships with other people.