A Chorus of Goodbyes

After 33 years as a choir director for the Lansing Unifide School District, Mrs. Jonnie Brice is retiring. Not only did she teach the choir classes, but she was also the Assistant Theatre Director and Assistant Coach for Scholars Bowl.

She first started her career as a music teacher for the Lansing Elementary School, and proceeded to teach there for 12 years. Because this was her first job as an educator, Brice learned valuable information that would proceeded to help her throughout her teaching career.

“I definitely learned I didn’t know much,” she explained.

Brice learned how to be the best possible educator through the interactions she had with her pupils.

“[The] students taught me a whole lot,” she said. “I needed that hands-on learning experience.”

Her love for music and theatre helped push Brice to pursue her career as a music teacher. She is especially proud of her students this year because they were awarded for their effort and hard work.

“This year, State Large Group and Concert Choir received three straight ones,” she said excitedly. A one is the highest possible score a choir can receive at State.

Though Brice had a fulfilling experience for the past 33 years, she was ready to retire and enjoy hobbies she had previously set aside.

“[I plan on] sleeping in [and] getting involved in theatre around the area,” she explained. “I’m even going to reopen my piano studio and will travel.”

Brice may be leaving, but she hopes the best for her students and their futures.

“They each need to follow their passion,” she stated. “They need to focus on what they’re gonna [sic.] do.”