Earth Month is Every Month

Mykala Caraccilo

This year, April of 2018, will mark the 48th celebration of Earth Month.

One thing people all seem to have in common though, with all of the advancements over the years, is that many are still living in the dark as to our total planet. For these reasons and many more, and after much input from all over the globe, The Earth Month Network has developed this year’s theme as “Plastic Pollution.”

They plan to examine various forms of plastic pollution in fresh waters, salt waters and other areas, as well as look into the harm it causes to our precious environment and ultimately human health.

The question remains though, what can we do to help the cause?

As an individual of a community, there are a plethora of different possibilities.

According to https://www.earthday.org/yourjourney2018/ – a free online website- the first step to becoming an active member, is getting informed. By simply downloading the “Plastic Pollution Primer and Action Toolkit” you’ll have all the information you need about plastic pollution and a Plastic Pollution Footprint Calculator, a tool to create your Personal Plastics Plan and to track your progress.

The next step, according to earthly.org would be to act. After learning about plastic consumption, you can create a Personal Plastic Plan to track your progress. You then can share your photos and videos from your commitment to the environment, on social media; not just during Earth Month, but all year round!

The last step on this personal journey would be engagement. After getting more information on how to organize events, you can register your own Earth Day activity, and find others that are happening in your area. You can also spread the word to friends and family with the help of social media, making sure to tag your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts with #EarthDay2018 #EndPlasticPollution #lessplastic #plasticless. Lastly, you can follow Earth Day on all social media to stay updated on what’s happening!

Aside from Earth Month though, there are so many things that EVERYONE can be doing year round to keep their environment safe and clean. Earth Month is every month.