Grown-ish: Review

Shelbie Cook, Editor

Freeform kicked off the new year with the premier of its new show “Grown-ish,” which features Yara Shahidi reprising her role as Zoey Johnson from the popular show “Black-ish.”

The first two episodes focus on reintroducing Zoey as a college student who is already struggling to survive her first few days as an independent young-adult. Unlike her previous role on “Black-ish” however, Zoey has difficulties with socializing and completing her course work, an issue that is shared among all first-year college students.

Originally titled as “College-ish”, the show encompasses the same charm as “Black-ish,” but has room to grow its own identity in the upcoming seasons — especially since a name change will allow the creators to continue the show well into Zoey’s years after college. Not to mention it was announced earlier this week that the series has already been renewed for a second one.

The show not only emphasizes the universal struggle most young adults face when living independently, but it also does a perfect job including a diverse range of characters:

Ana Torres (Francia Raisa) is a Cuban-American who comes from immigrant parents, and is described as a Republican and at the start of the show;

Identical twin sisters, Jazz and Sky Foster (Chloe and Halle Bailey), are black athletes attending college on a track scholarship;

Nomi Segal (Emily Arlook) is a Jewish and bisexual college student, who is closeted to her parents;

Aaron Jackson (Trevor Jackson) is a sophomore in college, unlike the other characters, and is an advocate for various civil rights, especially the Black Lives Matter Movement;

and Luca Hall (Luka Sabbat) is a biracial young man who is passionate about fashion and defies the gender norms in the way he dresses.

In an industry where caucasian actors are still dominating entertainment, it’s refreshing to see a diverse group of characters with different ethnicities, religion, and sexualities defying the standards of society. “Grown-ish” is the perfect show for anyone who wants a fresh take on college life and the struggle of being a young adult.

Catch new episodes of “Grown-ish” every Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m.