(Not) Home For The Holidays

Above+is+a+photo+taken+by+junior+Marissa+Ober+of+Waikiki%2C+Hawaii+during+holiday+break.+
Above is a photo taken by junior Marissa Ober of Waikiki, Hawaii during holiday break.

Mykala Caraccilo, Staff Writer

Although many stayed close to home and enjoyed their holiday season trying to avoid the frigid cold that December brought about, a lot of Lansing High students chose to turn in their snow boots and winter coats for some flip flops and sunscreen as they went to warm, tropical places to spend their holidays.

Junior Marissa Ober traveled around 3,600 miles to Waikiki, Hawaii on the island of Oahu.

“We were there for 5 days, and the trip was really cool,” Ober said. “We got to do a lot of things we wouldn’t normally have done like shark diving, paddle boarding, and we went to a luau thing and got to taste a lot of the native food.”

Ober got to witness some pretty amazing things during her stay at Waikiki, Hawaii.

“The best part was hiking up Diamond Head, the volcano thing, and getting to see the whole island from the top,” Ober said.

Ober’s vacation to this tropical island went through Christmas.

“It was weird spending Christmas Day on a plane, but we still got to be together as a family and it was a fun experience,” Ober exclaimed. “Everyone who was traveling with us was also really nice and friendly.”

Senior Courtney Rexroat took a different approach and traveled to the more foreign city of Cancun, Mexico.

“I was there for 6 days and my trip was extremely fun,” Rexroat said. “The beach was absolutely beautiful and all of the people were so pleasant to be around.”

Rexroat got a chance to get away from the frigid cold that Kansas brings in the winter, during her stay in Mexico.

“The best part was how perfect the weather was, it wasn’t too hot and there was a slight breeze so I didn’t die of the heat,” exclaimed Rexroat.

Rexroat visited Cancun after Christmas, during the New Years holiday.

“It was a little weird not being home for New Year’s Eve because it is one of my favorite times [of the year], but it was definitely with it,” concluded Rexroat.

Lansing High students weren’t the only ones who spent their holidays away from home though. One famous family in particular welcomed in the new year from one of their favorite tropical holiday destinations.

“I love New Year’s Eve,” Victoria Beckham previously told Vogue.

Famous star, David Beckham, took his wife, Victoria, and their 4 children to Turks and Caicos to ring in 2018, where they watched UB40 perform during the celebrations at their luxurious island resort.

“We always spend New Year’s Eve with the children, and my kids know how to party,” Victoria further explained. “Last year, I mean goodness they stayed up so late, they really are party animals. It’s a good time to get a little bit dressed up and let your hair down, have some fun and just go for it.”