Editorial: The School Dress Code

Shelbie Cook, Editor

All opinions are my own.

The beauty of dress, as the beauty of life, comes always from freedom.”

— Oscar Wilde

The dress code has always been a controversial subject here at Lansing High School; the administration does everything in its power to enforce it, while many students oppose the regulations surrounding what can and cannot be worn. The reasoning for enforcing the infamous dress code isn’t because it prevents a “distraction” as many have assumed, but instead it promotes a uniformity among the students.

Though it is perfectly normal for professional environments to implement a dress code in the work place, uniformity shouldn’t be advocated among young adults. It is understandable that the dress code is what keeps students from wearing a uniform to school five days a week, however personal style is important when developing an understanding of oneself.

As a society, we have been taught to appreciate our difference — but how can this happen when we are expected to dress similar to one another?

In the essay “The Philosophy of Dress”, the victorian author and fashion mogul, Oscar Wilde, perfectly sums up the importance of freedom when it comes to personal style: “The beauty of dress, as the beauty of life, comes always from freedom.”

Comparing “life” and “dress” highlights the importance between the two. Fashion is necessary when it comes to character development, and Wilde was known for emphasizing this within his literary work.

“Fashion, again, is reckless of the individuality of her worshippers, cares nothing whether they be tall or short, fair or dark, stately or slight,” as stated in the quote, Wilde was a smart man who understood that fashion is for everyone.

He understood that it was always changing, “until she can invent some new wickedness.”

It was explained to me that it is difficult to update the school dress code policy, as fashion is constantly evolving. While this may be true, it shouldn’t be an excuse as to why the dress code is restricted and encourages students to dress similar to one another.

In conclusion to this, the dress code should be broadened to give students that freedom. We deserve to have the opportunity to express ourselves through the way we dress, to be comfortable in our learning environment, and to not be judged for what we wear.

In addition to this, the school’s administration and the School Board should be more open minded about what students can and cannot wear.