The 17 Biggest Stories of 2017

Madeline Fay & Elizabeth Krebs, Staff Writers

1. Trump Signs the Executive Order for the Travel Ban
    • On Jan. 20, 2017, Trump signed the controversial travel ban, which incited a process of “extreme vetting” for and suspension of immigration from Middle Eastern countries for 90 days. In addition, refugee programs were temporarily suspended or 120 days.
  2. The Women’s March
    • In 673 marches worldwide, hundreds of thousands of women marched on Jan. 21, 2017 to protest Trump and band together to support feminism. Streets across the nation and world were flooded with pink hats, and many celebrities marched with the people.
  3. The Oscars
    • The biggest highlight of the Oscars on Feb. 26, 2017 was the mishap with the announcement of the winner of Best Picture. La La Land was originally named the Best Picture this year, but upon taking the stage, the producers realized that Moonlight had actually win.
  4. Video of Man Being Forcibly Removed From United Flight Goes Viral
    • Dr. David Dao was forcibly removed from a United Airlines flight in April. Footage of the scene caught national attention and received significant backlash. Two Chicago police officers that were involved were fired after the video went viral, and another quit after receiving a five-day suspension.
  5. Manchester Arena Bombing
    • On May 22, 2017, a 23-year-old man set off a shrapnel-laden bomb after an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena, committing suicide in the process. Twenty-two were killed, among whom were children. After the attack, Ariana Grande held a charity event for the victims.
  6. Covfefe
    • It was the typo heard round the world: Donald Trump tweeted “Despite the negative press covfefe” around midnight on May 31, 2017. The world was baffled, and Trump did not explain what he meant by the word, so the internet filled with theories and queries.
  7. Charlottesville Riots
    • White supremacists organized the Unite the Right rally on Aug. 12, 2017, providing startling images and accounts of primarily white men carrying tikki torches and chanting things like “Nazi carpetbaggers go home” and “Whose streets? Our streets!” The riots were ended by violence between the alt-right and counter-protestors.  Nineteen people were hospitalized and one died.
  8. Totality
    • While all of the continental United States witnessed a solar eclipse on on Aug. 21, 2017, only some areas were able to view the eclipse in totality. Lansing was in the path of totality, but students and teachers were unfortunately unable to see the eclipse due to cloud cover.
  9. Hurricane Harvey 
    • On Aug. 25, 2017, Hurricane Harvey wrought havoc on the  southern coast of the United States, costing over $180 billion in damages. At least 82 people have died, and one-third of Houston was underwater after the storm.
  10. Hurricane Irma
    • Hurricane Irma raged from Aug. 31 to Sep. 11, 2017. In all, about 5.4 million people were evacuated before the storm’s two landfalls.
  11. Anthem Protests
    • Colin Kaepernick started the trend of kneeling during the national anthem to protest “a country that oppresses black people and people of color”  in August. By late September, athletes from many sports joined him in protest.
  12. Las Vegas Shooting
    • Gunman Stephen Paddock shot and killed 59 people on Oct. 1, 2017 at a Jason Aldean concert from the window of his Mandalay Bay hotel room nearby, injuring an additional 500. Paddock killed himself as police broke into the hotel room.
  13. Harvey Weinstein Scandal Breaks
    • On Oct. 5, 2017, The New York Times posted a story that investigated decades of sexual assault allegations against producer Harvey Weinstein, sparking the #metoo movement.
  14. Opioid Epidemic Declared National Emergency
    • President Trump declared on Oct. 26, 2017 that the opioid epidemic is a national health emergency. Trump claimed that “We could be the generation that ends the opioid epidemic.”
  15. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Announce Engagement
    • England’s Prince Harry and American actress and humanitarian Meghan Markle announced their official engagement on Nov. 27, 2017.
  16. Time Announces the “Person of the Year”
    • Time Magazine announced their Person of the Year on Dec. 6, 2017: “The Silence Breakers.” These women and men were those that publicly held those that had sexually harassed, insulted, or raped them accountable for their actions.
  17. Doug Jones Wins Alabama Senate Race
    • On Dec. 12, 2017, Doug Jones won the special election for the recently-vacated Senate seat left by Jeff Sessions. His opponent, Roy Moore, was accused during the race of inappropriate sexual relations with an underage woman.