Netflix Inflation

Brynne Qualley, Staff Writer

Netflix has recently increased the cost of two of its subscriptions to help fuel the company’s commitment to producing original shows and movies.

“The prices being raised affected me because with all of the other things my family is trying to afford, it is just another thing added on top,” junior Alyssa Foley said. “My brother and I are the ones that mainly watch it so he pays for it which I know is difficult for him since he’s paying for college as well.”

The increase in prices are due to Netflix spending more money to finance original content. They plan to spend $7 billion a year alone on programming in 2018 and the prices are likely to rise due to streaming rivalries such as Amazon, Hulu, YouTube and Apple for the rights for future shows and movies. Netflix recently invested in $400 million in a permanent Canadian production presence. This was recently revised by content head Ted Sarandos.

“I understand the reasoning behind raising the prices because they now have a new audience of people that would want to buy Netflix just to watch the original shows and movies,” junior Annelise Holland said. “They would automatically make more money from that to probably have more money to produce more shows and movies. I personally don’t like how they are raising the prices because I don’t like spending a lot of money.”

Netflix believes that the rise of prices is justified due to the new feature of downloading shows and movies so people will be able to watch them without wifi. The company is making sure that all of their titles are available to download to everyone’s iOS or Android device. Each license agreement is different with content providers, distributors, producers, and creators so some licenses only limit a title to streaming only.

“From time to time, Netflix plans and pricing are adjusted as we add more exclusive TV shows and movies, introduce new product features and improve the overall Netflix experience to help members find something great to watch even faster,” a Netflix spokesperson said in a statement to The Verge.

“If it’s going to give me more access and more premium service then I am all for it. I think Netflix should’ve raised it a long time ago when they first started to create original shows,” junior Lenah Ferguson said.