Five in Five

Here are five things you need to know.
Graphic Credit: Maddy Fay

Here are five things you need to know. Graphic Credit: Maddy Fay

Elizabeth Krebs, Staff Writer

Five things to know about from this week:

Matt Lauer Fired From NBC

Matt Lauer was fired from NBC on Tuesday night after the network received a detailed complaint from one of Lauer’s co-workers who claimed that he had violated the company’s policy with “inappropriate sexual behavior.” Lauer hosted the Today show for twenty years and was an acclaimed journalist. His name joins a long list of powerful men, including Charlie Rose who was a host for CBS, who have been accused of sexual harassment.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are Engaged

On Monday the royal family announced that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were engaged. Markle, who starred on the popular TV show Suits, would become the first biracial princess in the British royal family. Due to Harry being fifth in line for the throne, he had to get permission from Queen Elizabeth II in order to marry Markle. The wedding date has not been announced and more details are expected soon.

Trump Shares Anti-Muslim Videos – Creates Tension with Britain

On Wednesday morning Trump retweeted three videos from Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First. All three videos had an anti-Muslim sentiment and caused controversy within the US and Britain. Theresa May, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, responded to Trump’s retweets by saying that it was the “wrong thing to do.” May also reprimanded Britain First calling it a “hateful organization.” Trump then tweeted at May to not focus on the US and instead on terrorism within the UK. A meeting between the two leaders is still expected to occur soon.

Michael Flynn Pleads Guilty to Lying to the FBI

On Friday morning, Michael Flynn pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Flynn was the national security advisor under the Trump administration; he lied to the FBI about conversations that he had with a Russian ambassador. Within his conversations, Flynn spoke to Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak about US sanctions against Russia. The investigation, conducted by Robert Mueller, is investigation Russian involvement within the US Presidential election of 2016. Flynn said that he would be cooperating with Mueller and the investigation.

Waffle House Customer Cooks His Own Meal

Alex Bowen went to a Waffle House at around 3 AM in South Caroline. After waiting for 10 minutes at the register and having no one come up to take his order, he went to the back to cook his own meal. There, he saw one employee who was asleep for the entire ordeal and he then proceeded to make his own meal —  a Texas bacon cheesesteak melt. After finishing his sandwich and taking some selfies, Bowen cleaned up the grill and left the Waffle House. That day, Bowen returned to the Waffle House to pay for his sandwich. Since the story went viral, a district manager of Waffle House thanked Bowen for pointing out a flaw and offering a position for him to be a Waffle House secret shopper.