Disney Announces The New Mulan

Liu Yifei was accosted as Mulan in the live-action adaption of the Disney movie,

Liu Yifei was accosted as Mulan in the live-action adaption of the Disney movie, "Mulan". Photo Credit: elle.com

Madeline Fay, Staff Writer

Disney announced on Nov. 29th that Chinese actress, Liu Yifei, will have the starring role as Mulan in the upcoming live action 2019 Disney Mulan film. She is the first and only cast member who has been announced.

“I am so glad that Disney did not ‘whitewash’ the film,” senior Piper Stevens said. “I had originally seen something about the cast with a white girl as Mulan, so I am glad to see that the starring role has gone to an actress that accurately represents a Chinese action hero.”

The cast announcement comes in the wake of a worldwide search and the review of over 1,000 auditions by Disney. Many have applauded Disney’s choice to cast a half-Chinese actress in the role.

Yifei has had martial arts roles in the past, making her a good fit for the action and physical demands of the famous Mulan. In 2008, she starred in the fantasy kung fu wuxia film The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.

“I think [her background in martial arts] will definitely improve what they can do with the movie — like, the reason that really good fighting movies with Jackie Chan and others are so good is because the actors are professional martial artists,” senior Joshua Stevens said. “I think casting [Yifei] will add production value in that respect.”

While Yifei certainly meets the physical standard of the beloved girl-turned-soldier, she also displays the elegance that we have come to expect in Disney actresses. Quartzy reported that Yifei is equal in standing and fame as American actress Emma Watson, who starred as Belle in the 2017 live-action remake of The Beauty and the Beast. Yifei also carries herself much the same as Watson, with a deportment of class and a clean-cut, elegant image.

“I think that a live action version will be really cool, and Yifei looks a lot like the cartoon Mulan,”  junior Marissa Ober said.