The Origin of Spoopy

Brynne Qualley, Staff Writer

Lansing High School students have been hearing and seeing “spoopy” pop up around social media and even spreading throughout the halls during the day.

What does spoopy actually mean? A final definition was concluded in 2012 simply stating, “Something that is funny and spooky at the same time.” This is right and wrong at the same time because spoopy avoids such a simple definition. Not only is this Halloween word used as an adjective, it is also very well know as a meme.

The original “spoopy” sign that was published on Flickr in 2009, staying for nearly two years, was later placed on Tumblr turning it not only into an adjective, but a meme as well.

“The word spoopy is just overall a funny word to use,” sophomore Natalie Tuttle said. “Some of my friends use it and it just makes me laugh because I don’t see why people are using it.”

Spoopy originated from a picture that was spread across Flickr that displayed a sign which had the word displayed on it in a skeleton-style font. Ross’s department store signs were ruined by one, tiny mistake — an unexpected “p”.  The image was posted on multiple platforms which lead to using spoopy as a general word across the world.

“I think the first time I heard the word spoopy was last year around Halloween time,” senior Georgia Watkins said. “Since then I almost always use it in replacement of spooky.”

Spoopy started to become well known around the world during the month of October in 2013. Such a word is mainly used during the commencement of Halloween. Even though many people use it, a good amount of people have a different opinion about it.

“I personally think it’s dumb and I don’t use it,” junior Mckensey Kell said. “The word is spooky, we’re not making the word any easier to say by putting a ‘p’ in there. I just don’t see a need for the word.”

Although this is a well-known word, spoopy has a very define line between the people who love it and the people who don’t.