FIRED up to learn

Tyler Kobulnicky
Photo by Tyler Kobulnicky

Emily Pettis

Photo by Tyler Kobulnicky

Some students learn by sitting in a classroom; others learn by putting on 100 pounds of gear and learning how to run into a burning building. The new school year brings in new classes for students to take and this year Fire Science was one of those added to the course book.

The class is hands-on.

“The skills that we learn we can actually use in real life experiences that we encounter,” student Nelson said.

Students in the class say that the learning atmosphere is different from other classes and it feels more like a college class than a high school class.

“When you don’t understand something everyone helps out,”  Nelson said, “and you learn as a group instead of individually. Also, everyone is accountable for each others actions.”

Fire science is a class that lets students learn all aspects of being a firefighter. There are courses students must take in order to enroll in the class including Intro into Law, Safety, and Security; Fire Science 1 and Fire Science 2.

“The class is really great for the students because they learn how to be a firefighter,” guidance counselor Wes Cackler said. “In the class they learn how to roll up hoses and use the equipment that firefighters would use in real life calls.”

Fire Science classes were added to the course offerings because the school wanted a partnership within the community. The Lansing Fire Department offered to help the school with a partnership, but didn’t know what class to have for the students. The Pioneer Center for Kansas City Kansas Community College, located in Leavenworth, stepped in and offered to have students take a fire science class through their program that they would teach at the Lansing Fire Department.

“It’s kind of a win, win, win,” Cackler said.

Since it is the first year that Fire Science classes exist only seniors were allowed to enroll this year.  Fire Science 1 and 2 are semester classes and last from 6th to 8th hour. Students leave after lunch and travel to the fire department for classes. Each semester in a Fire Science class is one credit. If students plan on taking the class they should enroll in the prerequisites when enrollment opens next semester.