Soccer Coach Quits Midseason

Co-Captain Charlie Plessl kicks the ball at the Leavenworth soccer game on Aug. 30th.

Eliott Wilk & Mykala Caraccilo, Staff Writers

On Tuesday Sep. 12, Adam Cogswell officially stepped down from his position as the Lansing Soccer Varsity Coach leaving them team without a coach mid-season.

According to a recent Facebook post, Cogswell stated the following: “I have stopped down, effective immediately, as the coach at Lansing. I did let your daughters know in Slack and anyone who was there tonight at boys practice heard it from me. This was a very difficult decision for me to come to, but the long and short of it is that I am making this change because I believe it is what’s best for the program, myself, and my family.”

Cogswell had been serving as the girls and boys soccer coach at Lansing for the past 2 years.

In the same Facebook post Cogswell also stated: “My other commitments, some health issues, and other personal matters have left me with little choice but to step away.”

Many players have mixed opinions on how they think this will, and already has, affected the team.

“I felt like since Cogswell left we tried a new formation and it worked a lot better for us than the low block that Cogswell had us stuck on,” freshman James Rowe said. “And it’s a change that’s probably going to be better for the team.”

Co-captains, Jarred Edwards and Chrarles Plessl have differing outlooks on how they think the rest of the season will go.

Plessl feels optimistic.

“I honestly think the rest of the season should turn out better,” Plessl said.

Edwards isn’t sure.

“I don’t really know how the rest of the season is going to go yet because everybody was set on his direction, and now we have to change,” Edwards said.

It was a tough transition, especially since it was the day before a game and they’re now down a coach.

“I honestly think in the next game back, the day after he left, we did better, we even scored,” Plessl said of the team that had yet to score a goal all season to that point.

The district posted the open position immediately and plan to have a new coach within a week.

Cogswell quitting  took many by surprise. Team members say they are looking forward to see how the rest of the season will go for the boys. Their next game is Tuesday Sep. 19, at Bishop Ward.

“The rest of the season with the new coach should go pretty well,” Vazquez said. “We should be able to win a couple of our remaining games.”