Filed under Features

Total Eclipse of the Hype

The 2017 solar eclipse as seen at the front gate of NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Approximately 4,000 people gathered at the Wallops' NASA Visitor Center to view a 81.5% totality of the eclipse.

Photo Credit: NASA/Jamie Adkins

The 2017 solar eclipse as seen at the front gate of NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Approximately 4,000 people gathered at the Wallops' NASA Visitor Center to view a 81.5% totality of the eclipse. Photo Credit: NASA/Jamie Adkins

On Monday, Aug. 21st, Lansing High was able to witness what is, for many, a once in a lifetime event, as students and staff gathered in the football field bleachers to watch the moon eclipse the sun.

An event such as this naturally attracted much hype considering the last time it was visible in the contiguous U.S. was in 1979, but whether or not it lived up to this hype is something different entirely.

“I was excited,” senior Kelsey East said. “It was the first time I ever experienced any type of eclipse before.”

East experienced the eclipse from the school football field and felt as if the event was very different than her expectations, but still enjoyable.

“All I saw was a bunch of clouds that went dark,” East said. “It still had a really cool effect.”

Some students left school to watch the eclipse from other locations, like senior Maggie Curtain, who watched from a horseback riding ranch.

“It was really cloudy so we didn’t get to actually see the moon pass over the sun, which was kind of disappointing, but it was still really cool,” Curtain said.

Curtain’s positioned allowed her to see the effects of the eclipse other than the darkening of the sky.

“It started to get dark and we started to hear cicadas and crickets chirping,” Curtain said. “And as it got darker we saw an owl pass overhead.”

While a solar eclipse hasn’t passed through the continental United States in any current Lansing student’s lifetime, staff, such as Mr. Byron Mays, can still recount their experience with the last eclipse.

“I remember going out and practicing several days before the eclipse,” Mr. Mays said. “I can also remember goofing around on the playground before the actual eclipse.”

Having witnessed a solar eclipse before, Mr. Mays anticipated the hype and was able to see through it and set his own expectations for how the event would be.

“I expected that it probably would not be to the hype that the media and most people were making it out to be,” Mr. Mays said. “It happened so fast, and usually the weather doesn’t work out that often when something like this is happening”

While people may have been disappointed by the hyped up expectations the media and others had set, many still agree that it was a sight to behold but not a once in a lifetime event as the next to appear in the U.S. is April 8, 2024.