Filed under News

The “New” Taylor Swift

Taylor+Swift+released+her+new+single+to+the+public+%22Look+What+You+Made+Me+Do%22+on+Thursday%2C+Aug.+24.+
Taylor Swift released her new single to the public

Taylor Swift released her new single to the public "Look What You Made Me Do" on Thursday, Aug. 24.

No longer obsessed about fairytales and happy endings, Tayor Swift released her new song “Look What You Made Me Do” Thursday night.

“I’m sorry, but the old Taylor can’t come to the phone right now,” Swift announced at the end of her new release. “Why? Oh… ’cause she’s dead.”

It’s been a bumpy few years for Swift’s public persona, and over the past few months specifically. She has kept an unusually low profile, posting sporadically on social media and making very few public appearances, to include her recent appearance in a sexual assault case. It was almost as if she’s been going MIA. Then the world got hit on Thursday, Aug. 24th, with her new song, “Look What You Made Me Do”. Her song, ironically released just days after she won her case, goes in a different direction than all of her other popular hits, as it is full of vengeance and fury. It is her biggest shift in tone since her 2012 hit, “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”.

“It was a lot different than her other songs. It was really dark and I don’t know, I just don’t see her singing that kind of music so it was really weird,” junior Jordan Donlon stated, after listening to her song.

On Friday morning, every radio station and social media outlet was raving about the new song. This shift in tone isn’t sitting well with most of Taylor’s fans though. Twitter was flooded with “Swifties” opinions on her new single. Some even went beyond just a simple tweet and put together papers addressing the public’s reaction to her song, and their optimism for T-Swift songs to come.

“I like Taylor Swift but I agree that the new song is bad,” American journalist and actor Ben Dreyfuss tweeted.

“@taylorswift13 You lost me with this new song. I miss the old Taylor,” Swift fan, @willriddle tweeted.

Word spread easily about Swift’s new release in the halls of Lansing High School, as that was the talk of the day on Friday, Aug. 25th. The same trend of a non-favoring opinion of her song seemed to be the reaction of most students though.

“I honestly didn’t like it at all and I hate Taylor Swift all together. None of her songs are ever good,” senior Tyler Kobulnicky said.

This is just a sneak peak into what to look forward to in the rest of her sixth studio album, being released on Nov. 10th, Reputation. Right now a lyrical video has been put out to the public, but the real full music video will be released on Sunday night at the MTV Music Awards.