Filed under News

Lion Fest Recap

Lion Fest took place on Friday with the theme

Lion Fest took place on Friday with the theme "Minute to Win It". Pictured above are the nine students who won the raffle. Photo Credit: DECA Twitter - @lansing_deca

DECA hosted Lion Fest last Friday in the lunch room of Lansing High School. The theme this year was “Minute to Win It” and included games, food, and live music performed by the band, Side Attraction.

“About 15 people started setting up at 6:30,” DECA member and senior, Devan Myers, said.

This is the second year of Lion Fest, as it was originally hosted by Kayettes, a community service organization. The event used to be known as the Kayette Mixer, a casual dance put on at the beginning of the school year. However, DECA eventually took over, and turned the dance into a space for students to mingle with friends. Each person paid $5 to enter, and the money is used towards traveling fees and expenses when members compete.

“I’m in DECA because I really like the sponsors and the opportunities we get to do,” junior Miranda Karpierz said. “I also really like to compete.”

Karpierz was in charge of the game, Wheel of Fortune.

“There are numbers on different sections, and you spin the wheel,” she explained. “Whatever section it lands on, you get that amount of tickets [for the raffle].”

Senior Faith Kelley and freshman Calista McPherson enjoyed the games that were set up around the lunch room.

“Megan [Ernzen] had to be here for yearbook, and I didn’t really have anything to do,” Kelley said, explaining why she decided to attend Lion Fest. “I did almost every game.”

McPherson especially liked the game, Lily Pads.

“You press down on a piece of wood and launch the frog onto a lily pad,” she explained.

Lion Fest ended with the performance of Side Attraction and announcing the nine winners of the raffle. Tickets were handed to students upon arrival, after paying to enter, and could be won through different games. Prizes included coupons for the Lions Pad, gift cards, a pizza party, a candle, or Lansing Lions themed clothing.

Senior Kelsey East attended Lion Fest with friends, thinking it “would be fun”.

East said, “I would say the Minute to Win It game or Side Attraction was my favorite part of the night.”