Deep Space

Pictured is The Space Launch System, the rocket that will carry a crew into deep space according to a statement released by NASA.
Photo Credit: blogs.nasa.gov

Pictured is The Space Launch System, the rocket that will carry a crew into deep space according to a statement released by NASA. Photo Credit: blogs.nasa.gov

Shelbie Cook, Managing Editor

It was announced Wednesday, Feb. 15 that NASA hoped to send astronauts abroad a new rocket-in-development.

It has been taken into consideration the obstacles that would come with conducting a “deep space” mission on a rocket known as: The Space Launch System. It was said to take place in 2018 aboard the Orion. The acting administrator, Robert M. Lightfoot Jr. has stated that there will, of course, be many “challenges”.

The possibility of NASA accelerating the timeline to put humans into the vicinity of the moon and onto Mars is exciting.”

— Boeing

Lightfoot said in a memo to NASA employees and partnered companies, Boeing and Lockheed Martin, “know the challenges associated with such a proposition, like reviewing the technical feasibility, additional resources needed, and clearly the extra work would require a different launch date.”

Boeing, an aircraft manufacturer, is constructing The Space Launch System, while Lockheed Martin is working on the Orion.

“The possibility of NASA accelerating the timeline to put humans into the vicinity of the moon and onto Mars is exciting,” Boeing said.

If they stick to the original plan, NASA would have the Orion fly into space for approximately three weeks, without a crew, for 40,000 miles above the surface of the moon.

“[Deep space exploration] is a good thing because it helps us discover more information that could benefit us,” junior Devan Myers said.

However, if they were to add astronauts abroad the aircraft, then the mission would be significantly shorter. The Space Launch System has the same issue: it’s not built for a crew.

“I think it’s beneficial, because it allows us to advance technologically,” junior Cera Doyle said.