Vikings vs. Lions: The First Home Game

Senior Quinton McQuillian jumps for the tip off against a Shawnee Heights defender. The Lions play their third game of the year and their first at home Dec. 9.

Senior Quinton McQuillian jumps for the tip off against a Shawnee Heights defender. The Lions play their third game of the year and their first at home Dec. 9. "Playing at home is less nerve racking," explained McQuillian. "It's the court I practice on and play on so I'm more comfortable with it."

Natalie Barrett

Natalie Barrett

Eliott Wilk, Sports Writer

The Lions take on the Vikings Friday, Dec. 9, for the first home game of the season for both the boys and girls teams.

“First home games are cool,” junior KenaDee Sommerla explained.  “It’s the first time my family and friends get to see me.”

The boys team is looking for their first win of the season in front of the home crowd. The boys have lost their first two games of the season against Bonner Springs and Shawnee Heights and are looking to turn it around.

“It’s always nice to get the first win of the season,” senior Dylan Jenkins commented. “That’s what we’re trying to go out there and do.”

The girls on the other hand are looking for their second win of the season. The Lady Lions got their first win of the season at Bonner Springs and lost a close game at Shawnee Heights.

“We’re ready for Friday,” Sommerla explained. “It’s gonna be nice to get this win in front of my family and friends.”

The Lions have had a lot of success in their home opener over the past five seasons, winning the home opener four out of the last five times. The girls on the other hand have not had success in their last five home openers, only winning one of their last five.

“We’re looking good this season,” Sommerla explained. “Its going to be a good game and we’re ready for it.”

Dec. 9 will mark the last, first home game for the seniors: Jonavan Hunley, Louie Dill, Josh Robinson, Dylan Jenkins, Quinton McQuillan, Elijah Sharp, and Jalen Douglas for the guys; and Hannah Fay, Paige Herrera, Tori Robinson, and Destini Mathis for the girls. Emotions will be flowing throughout the night the teams.

“There’s no emotion really,” senior Jalen Douglas explained. “We’re just wanting to please the crowd and give them show to remember.”