New Netflix Update Brings Forth Downloadable Content

An iPhone screen displays the Download tab on the Netflix app. On the day of its release, students became excited to watch their shows whenever they wanted.

An iPhone screen displays the Download tab on the Netflix app. On the day of its release, students became excited to watch their shows whenever they wanted. "It's awesome," Wallace stated. " I watched movies I had downloaded ahead of time [when] I was recently traveling."

Jordan Campbell, Staff Writer

Netflix announced on Nov. 30 that any member can now download and stream certain shows and movies onto their smartphone or tablet.

“Just click the download button on the details page for a film or TV series and you can watch it later without an internet connection,” Director of Product Innovation Eddy Wu stated, according to media.netflix.com.

The article explained the fact that this feature is available on the newest version of the app. The goal of the improvement was to satisfy Netflix users.

“We’ve often heard they also want to continue their Stranger Things binge while on airplanes and other places where Internet is expensive or limited,” Wu explained.

Wu encouraged readers to update their app and if they had any questions go to the help center. Senior Adriane Wallace is a Netflix member who has watched their movies and shows since the start. She believes Netflix has grown into a great movie program.

“I love that there are so many different types of shows and movies,” Wallace stated. “No matter what mood you’re in, there is most likely a movie to match it.”

Wallace recently traveled via plane and needs something to pass time in her long layover. She downloaded movies on Netflix to watch when she didn’t have internet. She described the process of downloading as fairly simple.

“There is a section with videos available for download and you just have to pick which ones you want,” Wallace said.

It’s like a library for TV shows and movies and you only have to pay a small amount for it each month.”

— Adriane Wallace

Despite the need to have Netlfix downloads in times when there is no internet connection, senior Nate Martin claims to love the new concept based on his love for The Office.

“My favorite part of Netlfix is The Office,” Martin said. “The reason I started watching Netflix last year was because I heard it had The Office.”

Although because of the update, Martin doesn’t have to worry about his internet connection anymore in order to watch his favorite show.

“I used to have public meltdowns if I couldn’t watch The Office every three hours but now I can quench my thirst for The Office while I’m on the go,” Martin explained.

The question is if the update will continuously be used for the time to come.

“[I plan on using this download program] literally every second of my life,” Martin said. “I will never stop watching The Office.”

This innovation is available under any plan affiliated by iOS and Android. Wu stated that there are more shows and movies to be available to download in the near future.