Filed under Sports

Winter Sports Comin’ Right Up

Winter sports are kicking off. Teams are practicing to get ready for their teams to compete the first week of the season.

Winter sports are kicking off. Teams are practicing to get ready for their teams to compete the first week of the season. "Winter sports are a change of pace," junior Joe Dill commented. "It nice to be inside for a change."

While the weather outside is getting cold and depressing, the Lansing High School weight room, gyms, pool, and wrestling room are getting hot.

“I like the inside feel of winter sports,” junior Marcus Sutton explained. “It’s a good change from the outside sports.”

Basketball

The boys basketball team is looking to improve upon their 7-14 (5-9 KVL) record from last year. The Lions have a lot of talent returning from last year and look to take advantage of that with new head coach Mr. Mark McQuillian.

“The season’s looking pretty positive,” senior Quinton McQuillian explained. ” We’ve been working hard with two-a-days and we are starting to look good.”

As for the Lady Lions, they look to continue improving on their 13-9 (9-5 KVL) record from last year. Last year the team lost in the Sub-State Championship to Schlagle and this year they look to qualify for state.

“The team is looking promising,” senior Destini Mathis commented. “We’re starting to come together and work as a team.”

Both Lansing teams tip off the season on Dec. 2 at Bonner Springs.

Wrestling

The Lions wrestling team is starting to build off of some success last year at the Kansas State Wrestling Tournament with Khalil Austin placing 4 in his weight class and multiple others placing in the top 10.

“We have some older kids that are leaders to the newer kids,” junior Tyler Williams commented. “We’re looking to have those leaders help improve the team.”

The Lions first match is a duel at Gardner-Egerton on November 30.

Powerlifting

The Lions powerlifting team is coming in off a hot finish last year with a 2nd place finish at State for the girls and a 6th place finish for the guys. The team is looking to build off the energy of becoming a sport this year and continue their hot streak from last year.

“I expect the boys and girls to have a good run at state,” senior Paige Herrera exclaimed. “We could end up with a 1st or 2nd place finish for both teams.”

The Lions first meet is Jan. 7 at McLouth.

Swimming

The boy’s swimming team is looking to keep improving from the pretty solid run into state last year. The swimming team is coming off their first every compititon during the summer with the Lansing Sea Lions.

“The way we’ve worked over the summer and during practice, we could have a lot of success,” senior Tanner Williams explained. “The hard work, we hope, will shoot us into a successful state meet.”

The Lions swimming season begins on Nov. 30 with a meet at Topeka.

Bowling

The bowling team looks to cap on another successful year for the girls and the boys.  They look to improve from their fourth place finish in the KVL. The girls were lead to a KVL title by junior Lacey Angello and look to do the same this year.

“We should have a good year this year for both teams,” junior Dante Hernandez commented. “I especially hope the guys can make it into state.”

The Lions open their season with a triangular on Jan. 17, at Crown Lanes vs. Emporia and Shawnee Mission East.