Filed under Features

The Effects of Pre-Game Music

As stated on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, this concept map displays athletes' predicted responses from music. Robinson claimed that each sport he plays has a different vibe of effect on him as an athlete.

As stated on www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, this concept map displays athletes' predicted responses from music. Robinson claimed that each sport he plays has a different vibe of effect on him as an athlete. "Football [has] a really emotional high [and] basketball is the same way," Robinson explained. "Baseball music is not as intense."

By Jordan Campbell

Madeline Staff Writer

Aside from practice, high school athletes incorporate music into their routine of preparing themselves before a game.

The real question is if music influences athletic performance.

“The music makes me play better,” senior football player Josh Robinson explained. “We turn up the music really loud so it reaches you to the intensity of the game.”

According to thehealthscienceacademy.org, music triggers good emotions and feelings that allow for the athlete to have more fun while playing in a game. Specifically, a song can remind a athlete of a memory that has significance. In the long run, it has been proven to increase devotion to a sport.

“I feel like music effects my performance and others on the team because of how up beat it is,” junior volleyball player Katrin Holden explained. “It just gets me really excited and hype to play the game.”

The research shows that music can distract an athlete from any negative feelings that include sadness, fatigue from the physical activity, or the pain coming from endurance of the activity. All in all, music is able to enhance any athlete’s proficiency during a game. Senior soccer player James Brown discussed how music has a impact on his physical activity outside of school sports.

“Listening to music while running at home makes me run faster and longer,” Brown stated. “[It] takes my mind off of the suffer that comes from running.”

Brown later said he usually listens to electric music when doing physical activity. He claims that it makes him want to play the game. Although, he says that during a soccer game, the rush doesn’t last long.

“[Music] wouldn’t effect me [during the game] because the game is too long to be dictated by a couple minutes of music,” Brown said.

Dr. Costas Karageorghis, a leading researcher on music’s ways of enhancing physical activity, views music as some sort of performance magnification drug. In a ESPN article, he explains his work in which he created tracks with music producers that would be helpful to elite athletes.

“[Music] is a complex science,” Karageorghis said, according to ESPN. “You need careful planning.”

He worked to create music based off of four things: beat, arousal, association, and dissociation. He calculated and observed the natural pace of a runner and then made a song that was one to two beats faster. Therefore, it enabled the athlete to work a little bit harder without even noticing it.

“Just hearing the track conjures potent associations that can direct behavior in a positive way,” Karageorghis later stated.

Agreeing with the research, Robinson explains why music is helpful to him with his three sports (baseball, football, and basketball) and how it can effect him as an athlete without it.

“I wouldn’t have the emotional high so I would play flat and I’d be tired,” Robinson said. “The music wakes me up.”