Filed under Sports

Believe It: Cubs vs. Indians – 2016 World Series

The Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs are squaring up in the 2016 World Series. Neither team has been won a World Series since the early 1900's. Neither team has made it to the World Series  in 10 years.

The Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs are squaring up in the 2016 World Series. Neither team has been won a World Series since the early 1900's. Neither team has made it to the World Series in 10 years.

By Eliott Wilk

Maneline Staff Writer

The 2016 MLB World Series is taking place between two lovable losers of the sport, the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs, who are both looking to break long droughts with out a championship.

“The World Series this year is good for the league,” junior Hunter Clark explained. “It gets more viewers for the game and because of the two teams that are in it.”

The Cleveland Indians rolled through the playoffs to get to the World Series. The Indians swept the Boston Red Sox 3-0 in the AL Divisional Series. In the AL Championship Series the Indians beat the Toronto Blue Jays to clinch their spot in the World Series.

“I think the Indians are gonna win,” junior Hunter Warden commented. “Their pitching and offense is better.”

The Cubs had a little tougher time getting to the World Series. Chicago won the series against the San Francisco Giants in the NL Division Series. Then, in the NL Championship Series the Cubs battled the Los Angeles Dodgers before winning 4-2 to move on to the World Series.

“The Cubs will definitely win,” Clark explained. “They are just the better team.”

The World Series kicked off on Tuesday, Oct. 25 in Cleveland, Ohio. The Indians shutout the Cubs in game 6-0 off of Corey Kluber’s gem and Roberto Perez’s two home runs and four RBIs.

“The Indians really showed their stuff in Game 1,” sophomore Christian Torres said. “The Cubs just couldn’t do anything against the Indians pitching.”

Game two was Oct. 26 in Cleveland. The Cubs fought back to come away with a 5-1 win to tie the series coming back home to Chicago on Oct. 28.

“I’m glad the Cubs won [game two],” explained junior Brennan Ward. “I always like to root for the underdogs.”

Neither team has seen a lot of success in the regular season or playoffs. Both teams have been in a World Series appearance drought. The Cubs “curse” has prevented the Cubs from making a World Series since 1945 and winning one since 1908. The Indians haven’t made it to a World Series since 1997 and haven’t won one since 1948.

“Both teams have worked hard and deserve to win a World Series,” Torres explained. “But, only one can win!”