Filed under News

The Play Won’t Be Short-Handed, Just Short-Armed

%22Tammy%22+has+been+chosen+as+the+fall+play+at+Lansing+High+School+this+year.+%22It+is+Heathers%2C+Carrie%2C+and+Jurassic+Park+all+rolled+into+one%2C%22+director+Mr.+Casey+McCord+explained.+

"Tammy" has been chosen as the fall play at Lansing High School this year. "It is Heathers, Carrie, and Jurassic Park all rolled into one," director Mr. Casey McCord explained.

The cast list of Lansing High School’s fall play, Tammy, the widely acclaimed coming-of-age story by Julia Weiss, was released on Twitter and posted on the doors of Mr. Casey McCord and Mrs. Jonnie Brice’s classrooms last Friday. The students that will be in the play are now starting to prepare for their performance Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

“I was really surprised to be chosen to play Tammy; I thought a lot of talented people tried out,” senior Elaine  Wong said. “She has a lot of character to her and she’s really funny and rambunctious and her emotions change a lot, so it’s really fun to try and portray all those emotions.”

Wong will be playing the lead role of Tammy, who is a middle-school-age girl and part T-Rex. The play follows her as she wades through the cesspool of middle school, struggles to fit in, and loses track of herself and her identity along the way. Wong will be joined by a total of 28 other cast members on the stage.

“It was basically about which actors had chemistry with one another, who looked the roles, and who fit,” McCord said. “But really, it was about who came as the character and performed the best as the character in auditions.”

The actors were all chosen in order to fit into the slew of characters, from mean girls (and boys) to outcasts. Mr. McCord, assistant director Mrs. Brice, Mrs. Debra Hutton, and Mr. Bruce Moreland worked together to put together the cast list.

“We’re really working hard to come together as a cast and to make it funny,” freshman William Snodgrass, who plays Tammy’s brother Brian Rex, remarked. “The thing about the brother is that he’s a typical guy, and that’s not me, so I’m stepping out of my zone and I have to be a completely different person; that’s why I really enjoy the role, because it’s a challenge.”

So far, the cast has finished blocking the movements the first scene of the play, and should start fully memorizing lines soon.

The actors aren’t the only ones working on the play. Tech theater students are currently working on stage design in preparation for the performencd on September 30 and October 1.

(For a full synopsis of Tammy, visit: https://www.playscripts.com/play/2463)