Filed under News

Darley Receives Recognition for Performance

Sophomore+Brynna+Darley+performs+the+role+of+Little+Becky+Two+Shoes+in+the+musical+Urinetown+on+November+19%2C+2015.+%0ADarley+was+nominated+for+a+Starlight+Theatre+Blue+Star+Award+for+her+role.+
Sophomore Brynna Darley performs the role of Little Becky Two Shoes in the musical Urinetown on November 19, 2015. 
Darley was nominated for a Starlight Theatre Blue Star Award for her role.

Sophomore Brynna Darley performs the role of Little Becky Two Shoes in the musical Urinetown on November 19, 2015. Darley was nominated for a Starlight Theatre Blue Star Award for her role.

Sophomore Brynna Darley was nominated Friday by the Starlight Theatre Blue Star Award Committee for outstanding actress for a featured role. Darley’s performance in the musical Urinetown as Little Becky Two Shoes is what earned her the nomination.

Urinetown was performed November 19 and 21, 2015, and directed by music teacher Mrs. Jonnie Brice. Darley had originally been cast as a different character, but due to another actor becoming ill, Darley received the role that got her the nomination the day before opening night. She had less than a day to memorize all of the lines.

“It was absolutely amazing,” Darley enthusiastically exclaimed about hearing her name announced. “I didn’t see it coming, and it took my heart by surprise.”

During 4th hour, Barb Schulte, director of communications for Starlight Theatre, spoke to approximately 50 students who were attending a theater department meeting led by next year’s theater teacher Mr. Casey McCord.

“There were 52 high schools that participated this year performing 56 musicals.” Shulte said. “Anytime you get a nomination it is outstanding. We hope that all of you take pride in this and enjoy being part of Blue Star Awards.” This is the first year Lansing has collaborated with Starlight and this is the first nomination the school has received.

Darley expressed immense excitement for the growing drama department. She said being nominated the first year of participating in Blue Star is a privilege and she hopes the department continues to be successful in years to come.

The Blue Star award are comparable to the Tony Awards which are given to outstanding theater performances on Broadway. The Blue Star Awards are given annually to high school students in the Kansas City metro area. The awards recognize achievement and excellence in musical theatre. This year’s award ceremony will take place May 19 at Starlight Theatre in Kansas City, Missouri. The entire cast of Urinetown has been invited to attend.