Monday, Feb. 29

BOCCE BALL
This past Sunday, February 28th, two Lansing High School Unified Special Olympics teams competed in their first Special Olympics Bocce Ball tournament. The tournament was held in Overland Park and included teams from around the Kansas City area. Team members for both teams included Curtis Meadows, Hillary Thompson, Levi Logan, Alex Beavers, Marie Caracillo, Sean Cranford, Codi Sisco, and Madison Sumner. At the end of the day, Lansing ended up 4 and 0 as both teams won both of their games. Overall, both teams won first place. Congratulations to all of the players and coaches who participated in the event. GO LIONS!!

POWERLIFTING
Congrats to all powerlifters this past weekend. All lifters hit a personal record and the girls’ team took 2nd. Some individual awards are as follows:
Women
Paige Herrera and Mekayla DePaolis-1st place
Sydni Bolewski-2nd place
April Jackson and Sierra Rettele-3rd place
Bailey Zinser and Miranda Karpierz-4th place
Men
Sean Cranford-1st place
Austin Foley-2nd place
Max Hubbert-4th place
WEIGHT ROOM
The weight room will be closed after school this week (February 29th-March 4th). Please go out for a sport. AM times are normal.

LECTURE FOR STUDENT ATHLETES/PARENTS
Dr. Vincent Key will present “Kinetic Chain Issues in the Throwing Athlete” TONIGHT–Monday, February 29th from 6:30-7:30 PM at Shawnee Mission North High School, 7401 Johnson Dr., Overland Park, KS 66202. This program will include a presentation on training, injury prevention and injury treatment for the throwing athlete. There will be a Q&A on sports medicine issues by Dr. Key following the presentation. Dr. Key treats everyday competitors to all-star athletes at the Sports Medicine & Performance Center at the University of Kansas Hospital. He is also the Medical Director and Head Team Physician for the World Champion Kansas City Royals.

COLLEGE VISITS (JUNIORS AND SENIORS)
The following colleges/universities will be visiting. If you are interested in visiting with the representative, please sign up in the Guidance Office no later than the day before the visit.
· Missouri Western—Tuesday, March 1st
· Missouri Southern University—Thursday, March 3rd
· Wichita State University—Friday, March 4th
· KCKCC—Tuesday, March 8th
· Washburn University—Tuesday, March 29th

DRAMA CLUB
–The Spring Play, “A Midsummer’s Night Dream” by William Shakespeare, will be performed in the Auditorium next week, Thursday, March 3rd at 4 PM and Saturday, March 5th at 7 PM. Price is $5. Come out to see the love and magic on stage and support LHS Drama.
–It is that time again! LHS Drama Club is holding auditions for the annual talent show on Wednesday, March 9th and Thursday, March 10th in the auditorium. Everyone is welcome to audition! We are looking for individual or group talents, and the more unique the better! The Talen Show will take place on Thursday, March 31st. Questions? Talk to Mrs. Willers or Mr. McCord.

LANSING USD469 TEACHER/SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS OF THE YEAR NOMINATIONS
It is that time of year again to begin thinking of nominating your Teachers of Year, Educational Support Professionals of the Year and a community member for the LEF Lifetime Achievement Award! The nomination forms are posted on Skyward message center or you may pick up the forms in the main office. All completed forms must be returned to the District Office by March 4, 2016 at 4:00pm. Your nominations may also be submitted by email to Nineveh.carvan@usd469.net The awardees for the USD #469 Teachers of the Year and USD #469 Educational Support Professionals of the Year Awards will be recognized at the Lansing Educational Foundation Honors Awards Breakfast and they will receive a $250 grant from LEF for their classroom/work space.

VO-TECH (JUNIORS)
There will be a meeting during CCR on Monday, March 7th in Pride Rock for those juniors interested in VoTech for next year.

JROTC
Interested in joining JROTC? LTC(R) Eric Hollister from the Leavenworth High School JROTC will have an informational meeting in the auditorium during CCR on Tuesday, March 8th. Please see Mrs. Hamilton in the Guidance Office to sign up for this opportunity.

CHEERLEADING
The clinic for the 2016-2017 Lansing Varsity and Junior Varsity Cheerleaders will be on Monday, March 21st and Tuesday, March 22nd from 7-9 PM in the middle school gym. The tryouts will be on Wednesday, March 23rd at 6:30 PM in the elementary school gym. The tryout packet is available in the main office.

WEST POINT
On Tuesday, March 22nd, a representative from the United States Military Academy will be here during CCR to talk to interested freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. If you are interested in attending, please sign up in the guidance office NLT Monday, March 21st.

LATE NIGHT
This year, Late Night Presents The Hunger Games on Thursday, March 24th. The fundraiser will benefit Backpack Buddies, The Lions Food Pantry, and the Leavenworth Assistance Center. The location is to be determined, but the date is solidified. Sign-ups for individuals and teams will be in the main office. The Captain meeting for Late Night has been moved to Friday morning, March 4th at 7:45 AM in room 2217.

LION BACKERS
The Lion Backers will hold a Spirit Wear Sale and Reception on Thursday, March 24th from 6-8 PM in the main lobby at LHS. Cash, checks, and credit cards are accepted. No orders will be taken—this is a cash and carry event! Stop by, grad some of your favorite Lions’ Football spirit wear, munch on some awesome snacks and chat with the coaches! Event is open to 7th-12th grade football players, family and fans!

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
The Ft. Leavenworth Stray Facility needs volunteers. You can make a difference in the lives of your local pets in need. Go to www.myarmyonesource.com and follow these steps:
ü Register
ü Log-in
ü Volunteer Tools (top right)
ü Community: Fort Leavenworth
ü Organization Group: Community Recreation
ü Organization: Stray Animal Facility
ü Select State/Region: Kansas
ü Postal Code: 66027
ü Click on “Search”
Click on your position of choice and apply!

OPGRAD
Lansing OpGrad ’16 is now accepting pictures for the Senior Slideshow. The slideshow will be shown during Senior Awards Night and during the OpGrad festivities. Email any (APPROPRIATE) photos (from babyhood through senior year!) to the address below!
Opgradphotoslide2016@gmail.com

SCHOLARSHIPS (SENIORS)
Seniors—Make sure that you are checking the guidance website. There are a lot of scholarships posted to include the Lansing Alumni and Lansing Kansas Scholarship Fund, Inc. which are local and only seniors at Lansing High receive them.

NURSING AND ALLIED HEALTH INFORMATION
The KCKCC Nursing and Allied Health coordinators will be hosting informational sessions for individuals interested in learning more about the field of Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Respiratory Therapy, EMT/Paramedic, Mortuary Science and Medical Assisting. The sessions will be at 7 PM on March 22nd, and April 7th at the Thomas R. Burke Technical Education Center, 6565 State Ace. In KCK. There is no cost to attend. Please RSVP to pta@kckcc.edu with your name and program of interest.

YEARBOOKS
Yearbooks are still on sale. If you have not purchased a copy yet, you can do so by going to www.yearbookordercenter.com and entering in code 3182. The cost is $65. Follow us on Twitter for updates and information @LHStheLion.

MANELINE ONLINE
Check out manelineonline.com for news, sports, and features about Lansing High School. Follow us on Twitter @LHSmaneline and on Instagram @humansoflansinghigh

JOB OPPORTUNITY
If you are looking for summer work, here is a great opportunity for students who are at least 18 years old and for staff members. Cort Furniture Rental is looking for furniture delivery helpers from May 26th through July 9th. Pay is $12/hr and you will get 50-60 hours a week Monday through Saturday. Time and a half is paid for anything over 40 hours. You will not be driving the trucks. You will serve as a delivery helper only. Most work will be on Ft. Leavenworth so you will need to pass a GSA background check and a pre-employment drug screen and physical.
Contact Fred by phone at 913-238-7264 or Chester by phone at 913-701-8070 or by email chester.hersh@cort.com