Filed under Features

Reaching New Heights: Broadcasting Flies Drone

Brian Orkwis

Seniors Brian Orkwis and Raina Perez are using the flight simulation software on the new drone to complete a practice flight before taking the drone out for a test drive. The drone  will be used by broadcasting and film students and allows for creativity in film-making.

Seniors Brian Orkwis and Raina Perez are using the flight simulation software on the new drone to complete a practice flight before taking the drone out for a test drive. The drone will be used by broadcasting and film students and allows for creativity in film-making. "It's cool because it exceeds the limits of a normal camera," said Perez who is interested in pursuing a career in the film industry. "[Using the drone] lets me be more familiar with different technology. Colleges use a variety of equipment so it is good to have this experience."

If you look up to the sky above the school, you might see a strange flying object. The broadcasting class just received a drone to help get more diverse angles and shots.

Mr. K.C. Simmons, an adviser for The Roar, stated,”[The drone] is gonna give us a more professional look. Anytime you have planned camera movement it looks better, and the drone allows us to do that.”

The drone is one of the most unique pieces of technology the broadcasting class has. Senior Brain Orkwis, who is tasked with operating the drone, said that flying the drone is similar to playing a video game.

Orkwis said, “It’s a pretty cool piece of tech, and really fun to get to work with.”

With the drone, students will be able to have access to technology and angles that they haven’t been able to use easily. Simmons said that no specific projects for the drone have been planned yet, but it will certainly be used to get shots of the new school.

Have you been watching the daily Roar broadcasts on ManelineOnline.com?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mrs. Heather Waters is the adviser for ManelineOnline and The Roar.