Famous Felines: Global Internet Domination

From friendly, domesticated pets to entertaining, viral stars, cats are becoming increasingly hip in today’s society and becoming an important aspect of American pop culture. Even celebrities, like Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, would agree that felines are taking over the internet and becoming popular not only on the internet and YouTube, but also within people’s homes as purr-fect companions. The domination of cats over other domesticated animals is rapidly becoming more and more apparent over time. Only one question could precisely sum up this national feline supremacy– what is making cats so popular right now?

Junior Mikey Williams has nine cats and supports their current popularity.

“[Cats] are furry, nice and cute. It’s always fun to watch them play and do stupid stuff,” he explained. “We’ve always lived with cats and I feel like they’re very interesting because they each have different personalities.”

Several theories on cats’ recent popularity are bubbling to the surface of the web and bloggers are raging. According to Popoutmag.com, there are approximately 31,200,000 videos of cats currently posted on YouTube, making cats the dominating animal on this social media outlet. Studies have shown that people who watch cat videos reportedly are proven to be more attentive and less subjected to rages of anxiety, depression, and stress. Petting these furry companions is also beneficial to one’s health, as it is very calming.

Senior Jessica Obregon agrees that cats can improve one’s life, for she has a cat herself.

“I like cats because when I look into their eyes I find happiness that I never found in myself,” Obregon confided. “They improved my life by making me want to wake up in the morning and cuddle.”

Students are not the only ones basking in the uprising domination of cats on the internet and their growing popularity. Librarian Ms. Debra Hutton has a close relationship to her cat, Foxy, and adores her company.

“I hated cats until my first cat because I loved dogs and thought cats were persnickety and obnoxious. Then my first cat came and sat outside my house and jumped into my arms. It was love at first sight,” Ms. Hutton marveled. “My cat clams me down; there’s nothing more calming than having her lay on my shoulder and purr in my ear.”

Purr-fect companions and entertaining “celebrities”, it is predicted that cats will continue to gain popularity and public praise as the year progresses.