Filed under News

Remembering Tanner

Senior Tanner McCombs was killed as a result of a traffic accident Friday, Dec. 11. He was 17 years old.

Friends remember McCombs’ kind heart and bright smile.

“I remember we used to not want to go home and we didn’t have cars then so we would sit at the park next to the old high school until one of our parents came and picked us up,” recalls senior Macey Muse who was one of McCombs’ close friends. “We had the kind of friendship that made us family. His mom was my mom, and my mom was his mom. I’ll never forget every memory we have, every laugh we’ve shared and every pointless talk we had.”

McCombs had many friends at Lansing High School including senior Collin Garnett. “He was so outgoing and always loved to joke around all the time,” Garnett said. “The car rides home were always fun and will never be forgotten.”

McCombs’ girlfriend of more than a year, senior Malia Martinez, says the two were planning a life together after high school. “I miss Tanner so much,” she said. “He honestly meant everything to me. People tried to destroy us and we didn’t give up. Our plans for the future, our baby we wanted, our life planned together; everything. We were going to be forever.”

Friends have created a Go Fund Me campaign to raise money for McCombs’ family. The goal is to raise $10,000. So far the campaign has raised more than $4,000 in three days. Taco John’s in Lansing, where McCombs worked, is also raising money for the family.

The Go Fund Me campaign can be found at the following web address: https://www.gofundme.com/3ue7esmc

Visitation will be held Thursday, Dec. 17, at the R. L. Leintz Funeral Home at 4701 10th Ave. in Leavenworth from 6 to 8 p.m.

The family requests everyone wear KU or Lansing High School apparel to the celebration of his life which will begin at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 18. also at the R. L. Leintz Funeral Home.