Filed under Features

My Final Goodbye

What is the definition of Journalism? Journalism is the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites. However, journalism has a much bigger meaning. To be a successful journalism team, you must also be a family and that is exactly what we are here at Lansing High School. I was lucky enough to be able to join the journalism family the second semester of my sophomore year and I have been growing with them ever since then. I am now a senior and I have been granted the privilege of graduating at semester, meaning that I will have to say my goodbyes on our last day before winter break, December 17th.

I haven’t thought much about how to say goodbye so this will have to do. I have enjoyed being in journalism these past two years and I am very grateful to have been able to work alongside devoted, young writers. It is satisfying to see how far we have all come, especially the ones that have been in Journalism before this year. This class helps you to become a better writer through constructive criticism from your editors and fellow writers. On the other hand, it also helps you to meet new people and socialize with people you thought you would never talk to. The class is a wonderful opportunity to grow as a person, a writer, and a photographer. I may not be the most social person, but I can proudly say that being in this class has helped me come out of my shell.

Each and every person on the journalism staff is a friendly and hardworking person. They are always happy to help you edit your stories to the best of their ability to ensure that you have a great story to publish. They are also always up for staff bonding! Bonding with each other is a great way to create a strong journalism family.

Heather Waters

When the Journalism staff attempts to take a group photo.

Once it hit me that I will no longer be able to look forward to relaxing with them at the end of the day, I finally realized how much this class meant to me. Most of the staff members this year are new, so I don’t quite have a strong relationship with them like I do with Tara Bolewski. She has been with me in journalism ever since I first joined the team and this year she is our Media Editor. Bolewski is a wonderful sports writer and a very cheerful person. I have really enjoyed working with her over the past couple years and I will miss her very much. She has grown into a fantastic writer.

Jonathan Zappa joined journalism last year and I’ve known him since we were in elementary school together. At first, I was surprised when he joined because I didn’t take him as much of a writer, but I was blown away with his sports stories and photos. Zappa is a committed writer and I am glad that he decided to join journalism.

Sydney Williams also joined Journalism last year and she is a very upbeat person. She always seems to brighten my day with her hilarious outbursts about some random subject during class. Williams has developed into a great writer with a big heart.

Olivia Jarvis is another one that joined us last year. She is always quick to save us by coming up with great ideas for stories during brainstorming sessions when we are all stumped. Jarvis has been a great addition to our feature section and I love that she always greets you with a friendly smile.

Madeline Fay is new to our team this year and I couldn’t be more impressed. She is an amazing photographer and I will be looking forward to seeing more of her photos on our website. Fay is a very outgoing person and I admire that about her.

Preston Thomas is another new staff writer this year and he is also a great sports writer. His sports photography is very impressive and I’m glad that he joined us this year. Thomas can always make us laugh and I’m interested to see how well he will continue to grow as a writer/photographer.

Shelby Brier is our last new addition this year and I must say that she is a fantastic writer. She has written many great stories on important events t,hat have happened throughout our community along with things that are happening around the globe. I got the opportunity to work with her on a story about cyber bullying and she is a very kindhearted person. I look forward to reading more of her stories throughout the year.

Finally, the two girls that keep us all on top of things. Kara Fort and Marie Caraccilo are both dedicated editors who do their very best to help us create the best stories. We can always count on them to assist us when we are stuck with no story ideas or when we’re not sure how to write the story. I am very thankful to have had two wonderful editors this year that have kept the class fun, but also on task. I will miss all of these lovely people and I’m bummed out that I have to leave them. Some of my best high school memories took place in that class and I will always remember them.

I encourage anyone who has a passion for writing or photography, to join journalism. There is a class called 21st Century Journalism that you must take first in order to be a part of the staff. This class has been my absolute favorite class throughout my high school career and it’s a great opportunity to bond with your fellow classmates.