Filed under Features

Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving traditions are common in families that spend their time together on the holiday. Whether it’s eating turkey or ham, or gathering around the table and saying what you are thankful for, traditions help enforce values and allow people to pause and reflect.

“My family, like many others, has a tradition of going around the table before we start eating and stating what we are thankful for,” said sophomore Georgia Watkins.

One of the most common traditions is eating turkey along with other foods associated with Thanksgiving, such as stuffing, candied yams, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, and mashed potatoes. Not all families, however, have a big turkey dinner every year.

“I’m not a big fan of turkey,” said sophomore Hunter Warden. “I eat ham when Thanksgiving comes around.”

Another big tradition in many families is the breaking of the wishbone. The superstition is that if two people grab onto each side of a turkey’s wishbone and pull, the person who ends up with the bigger side of the bone gets a wish.

“My family lets the two youngest people in the family break the wishbone,” said Watkins. “I don’t think it means anything, but it’s a fun thing to do!”

The traditions don’t end at the foods that are eaten at dinner. They also consist of what happens before or after the feast. Many people play a good-natured game of football or sit on the couch and watch the professionals play football. Others just do anything they can to spend time with each other.

“Usually around 7:00 PM every Thanksgiving, our family plays poker and it usually lasts until 2:00 AM,” said sophomore Haley Linaweaver. “I always want to win, but it never happens.”

Thanksgiving is a great time for family and friends to rejoice and thank each other for all of the good things in life. Traditions are great for making sure everyone feels included, and they allow people to look back at how things were before their time.