Chipotle Rumors: Fact or Fiction?

Katy Bennett

Katy Bennett

Sydney Williams, Staff Writer

In August of this year, a surprising rumor hit the streets. Rumor had it that all Chipotle stores will be abruptly closing as of January 1, 2016. The rumor was shocking to many people and originated from a false article attached to a link, where the user was merely wanting to attract attention. According to Snopes.com, the rumor is false and was put to rest for a little while, until there became a new issue involving Chipotle this November. Beginning in just two restaurants, within the states Oregon and Washington, the public is now concerned with the sanitation of Chipotle. After health investigators got more concerned, 43 stores were immediately closed down for health and sanitation issues. There are different views from the public on the issue.

“It doesn’t matter either way to me,” junior Adi Vaughn said. “Do you know how many times things like that happen at different restaurants and people are there next day?”

Much like Vaughn, others have such a strong love for the food they aren’t going to let the issues effect their consumption of Chipotle.

“Just because there are issues in other Chipotles doesn’t mean it’s here or should effect if I eat it,” junior Jalen Douglas said. “I will continue to eat it until the topic arises in our local Chipotle.”

Although no ones knows the absolute truth about the sanitation issues, multiple things are being done to take care of the situation. The Co-CEO Steve Ells,  is taking the issues and illness of the consumers seriously.

“If there are opportunities to make the company better, we will push ourselves to find them and enhance our already high standards for food safety,” Ells said.

While the company is working to make things better and as sanitary as possible, some students express that they wouldn’t feel comfortable eating there until all of the rumors and issues have been put to rest.

“I don’t want to risk getting sick. I love the food, but it isn’t worth risking my health,” junior Haylee Asher said. “I will wait a decent amount of time to eat there until the sanitation issues are figured out.”

Although the August rumor was proven false, there are proven facts behind the sanitation issues that are now surfacing. There have been immediate actions taken by the company to decrease the risk of sickness and to improve the sanitation of the stores.