Filed under News

Lansing Captures Home Field Advantage

Lansing dominated over Leavenworth High School through the rainy conditions, securing themselves with a District Champion title and a final score of 48-19 this past Friday, October 30th.

“Their record wasn’t very good but I knew they were still good. We prepared really well that week, and had an extra two days to prepare,” junior football player, Josh Robinson explained.

Despite last year’s Lansing beatdown, Robinson expected to come out of this year’s game with a win.

He later stated, “We knew going into the game the conditions were rough, so we knew we had the upper hand.”

By winning this game, Lansing was awarded a plaque that named them the 2015 District Champions. They move on next Friday, competing against the number two seed from another district, St. James Academy.  

Students were excited for the rivalry game, expressing their school spirit with the spirit alert known as #CodeRed, which lasted all week long.

“It was exciting, but could’ve been more hype if more people came. When we scored, everyone was hype,” junior Adriane Wallace explained.

Wallace also stated that it was too cold for the spirit day at the game, as everyone was wearing multiple layers.

She later described, “It was cold and rainy. The rain felt like large pieces of stone falling onto your face.”

Not only the students, but also the cheerleaders, were cheering through the rain, making sure the crowd was loud.

“Getting soaked was definitely worth it because we ended up winning the game. I would definitely do it again, but only for our football team.”

— Sophomore, Makenzie Adams

The entirety of the game was fought hard by the Lions, despite the weather conditions. Subsequent to the football game was Lansing High School’s Senior Night.

“I think it’ll be hard for us next year, just because there are so many seniors who do a lot for this team. Whether it’s their significance on the field or getting us hype in the locker room,” Robinson admitted.

Aside from just football players, other sports and activities such as tennis, cross country, and band seniors were recognized.

“I’ll miss some friends, but I’m ready to move onto something better,” senior drum major Isaac Jacobs stated.

Even though he is ready to move on, Jacobs said he will come back and visit the marching Lions. Each senior was honored with applause from the crowd, a goodie bag, and a poster provided by the cheerleaders.

The Lions plan to fight hard this Friday and end the rest of the season on a good note, win or lose.