Handbook Update 20.15

Tara Bolewski, Editor

Every year Lansing High School publishes a student handbook. According to dictionary.com, a handbook is defined as a book of instruction or guidance. Principal Steve Dike agrees.

“It’s a set of guidelines that is flexible enough to give students an expectation of the rules,” Mr. Dike explained.
The student handbook covers a lot of information in 24 pages. There is enrollment information, a bell schedule, information on finals, attendance and absence  policies, disciplinary protocol, electronic policies, dress code, food services information, and more. It is meant to be informational.
Mr. Dike described the handbook as “fluid.” From year to year, the handbook is edited by the building administrators. Because Lansing is a constantly growing and altering district, all the rules and regulations the handbook covers must be versatile and easily adjustable; however, some adjustments that are needed did not get made this year.
If students have noticed these differences and plan to take advantage of them – don’t. Mr. Dike says that if students have been told something by administration, they should follow that. The handbook is just “a broad guideline.”

Some students don’t understand how rules can be written one way but enforced another.

“It just doesn’t make sense,” senior Cloey Breen said. “If I’m getting mixed signals, how do I know what to follow or what is right?”
The answer: if it’s questionable, students should ask before they act. Any one of the administrators would be willing to clarify any uncertainties a student might have. Members of the Lansing High School administration include Mr. Dike, Assistant Principal Nick Gray, Assistant Principal Hollie Becker, and Athletic Director Gary Mattingly.
“This isn’t to play gotcha with students, but you can’t write every scenario down,” Dike explained.
Besides just rules and regulations, there are other important things in the handbook. There is information on a School Violence Hotline that few students know about. The handbook explains what truancy is and how students might become truant (this takes just three unexcused absences). There is an entire page on the school’s bullying and harassment policy. Even with some of the outdated information, the handbook still contains relevant information that is good for students to know and follow. For the full edition of the handbook, visit the district website at http://lhs.usd469.net/index.php/student-info/student-handbook.