How-to: Homecoming

Olivia Jarvis and Sydney Williams

Homecoming is here again! There are plenty of fun, new traditions that have been started this year. For those of you who still do not know what to do or for those just want some general information about the upcoming events, this is the article for you.

This years parade route will be much diffrefrent than the pass. In past years there were only four floats this year there will be much more.

Sydney Williams
This year’s parade route will be much different than it was in the past. In past years, there were only four floats. This year, there will be many more participants.

New Homecoming Traditions and Festivities:

The new Lansing High has embraced many changes for both the school’s events and the students.  In the past there was a tradition set at the old high school for homecoming, but now it’s a fresh start. There will be many new activities homecoming week for students to participate in with their peers. These events help students get excited and encourage them to look forward to the homecoming dance on October 3rd.

This year many new fastivites are set for Homecoming. In past years there was a bon fire, this year it will be replaced.

Sydney Williams
This year, many new festivities are set for Homecoming. In the years past, there was typically a bon fire present.

Ways to Ask Someone to Homecoming:
One thing that people tend to do before dances is to ask a date to go with them. If you are one of those people who want to ask out a crush or significant other but don’t exactly know how, this should help. The biggest part of asking someone, no matter what method you chose, is to know things about that person and to at least have them know you.

• Poster board with a cute saying
    • One of the most classic ways to ask a person to a dance is with a special saying on a poster board. Put something on the board that means something to the person you are asking. It can be funny, sweet, or nerdy.
  • Food
    • Everyone loves food. Make sure that the person you are going to ask is not allergic to whatever you are going to give and make sure that they will enjoy it.
  • Get a teacher to do it in class
    • Either have a teacher write it on the board, or put it on the lesson plan that is put on the board.
  • Have some friends help you
    • Friends will always be there for you. Whether you are asking them to help come up with an idea or asking them to help you implement your plan, they will have your back.
  • A personal way
    • Not all people like the big, public ask-out. If that isn’t the type of person you want to ask, try doing a scaled-down version of one of the above. Instead of a tray of cupcakes, maybe just get them a candy bar. Instead of a poster board, write them a cute note.
  • Just ask them
    • If all else fails just go up to them. It doesn’t involve much time or money to do this one and, depending on what you say, it can make for a very sweet moment.
  • Other ways
    • If these ways don’t seem to fit who you want to ask or how you want to ask, try doing a quick Google search to access even more ideas.
Sophomore Kaitlyn Smith gets asked to Homecoming by her boyfriend Cody Schmitendorf. "I was really excited. I loved the way he asked me." Smith said with glee.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Smith gets asked to Homecoming by her boyfriend Junior Cody Schmitendorf. “I was really excited. I loved the way he asked me,” Smith said with glee.

What to Expect:
In past years, the dances have been held in the intermediate school gym. One of the main reasons was because of the proximity of it to the old high school. Now that there is quite a distance between the two buildings being utilized, there is question about what the dance will be like and where it will be held.

• Where will it be 
    • It will take place at the new high school. The dance will be held in the commons area, which is also used as the lunch room. The courtyard will be open, as well, and will house the food. It will be available to students in need of fresh air, but the gate will be closed so that people will not be able to go in and out.
  • Time
    • 8 pm to 11 pm
  • When will tickets be sold
    • Monday the 28th through Thursday 1st
  • Costs
    • $8 when bought in advance and $10 at the entrance
  • What entrance
    • Enter through the student entrance
  • Theme
    • This years’ theme will be Wizard of Oz
  • Entertainment (DJ)
    • J.F. Productions will be providing funky fresh dance music.
  • Food and Drink
    • Dessert foods such as cookies and brownies will be the main snacks, along with water, punch, and lemonade.
This years Homecoming Dance will be held in the commons area of this school. For past years it was held in the Intermediate School Gym.

Sydney Williams
This year’s Homecoming dance will be held in the commons area of the new school. In the past years, it was held in the Intermediate School gym.

Steps to Getting Ready:

Everyone has that one thing they are looking forward to at the beginning of the year. For some people, that one thing is homecoming. There are many different events and a lot planning that goes into getting ready. Homecoming can be a spontaneous event for some people, and for others, it is planned to the T. Here are a couple of tips for planning the perfect homecoming:

1. Find the perfect date – Homecoming is the time to enjoy your date, whether it is your significant other or your friend. Remember to just have fun. For homecoming, boys will usually find creative ways to ask girls. An extremely helpful resource for ideas is Pinterest!
  1. For girls, it is important to find a dress that you feel confident in. Everyone deserves to look stunning that special night. Boys go out and find snazzy bow ties to match their lovely dates. Typically, the boy matches the girl’s dress, but sometimes, people are unique and dress in separate colors.
  1. After finding that perfect dress, picking the perfect hairdo is next step in preparation. Some girls make appointments, while others just do their hair themselves. When doing your hair, you can either choose an up-do, a braid, or just leaving it down. There are several salons in town that are always available to do hair for events such as homecoming. (Bella Vita, House of Hair, Be You Ti Ful, His and Hers, etc.)
  1. Don’t forget the corsage and boutonniere! There are a couple of places in town with several different options for flowers. These aren’t always a must-have, but are usually given to you by your date. (Leavenworth Floral, Land of Oz, Dillon’s and Price Shopper)
  1. Finally, after all of the big details are worked out, it’s time to pick a place to dine. Eating before the dance is always important so that you have plenty of energy to bust a move at the dance! It is fun to go eat with a group of friends or your date. It is a good time for conversation and interacting with your peers.
  1. Date, dress, flowers, and food! Now it’s time to go to the dance and enjoy your time with the people around you. The homecoming dance this year is going to be a lot different with all of the changes. Come out and have a spectacular time dancing and laughing with the people around you.