May the Course Be With You

An update on Lansing's high placing long-distance runners.

Lansing+cross+country+runners+%28left+to+right%29+sophomore+Alanah+Clarke%2C+sophomore+Leah+Wiegers%2C+freshman+Stacy+Briggs%2C+sophomore+Jaci+Huckabee%2C+junior+Emma+Bresser%2C+freshman+Bailey+Rees%2C+sophomore+Madeline+Fay%2C+junior+Ellaura+Foster%2C+freshman+Emily+Reeves%2C+freshman+Celeste+Hammond%2C+freshman+Annelise+Holland%2C+and+Sara+LaMoe+look+out+over+Lake+Superior+during+a+lull+in+their+summer+training+camp+in+Minnesota.+
Lansing cross country runners (left to right) sophomore Alanah Clarke, sophomore Leah Wiegers, freshman Stacy Briggs, sophomore Jaci Huckabee, junior Emma Bresser, freshman Bailey Rees, sophomore Madeline Fay, junior Ellaura Foster, freshman Emily Reeves, freshman Celeste Hammond, freshman Annelise Holland, and Sara LaMoe look out over Lake Superior during a lull in their summer training camp in Minnesota.

Madeline Fay, Photo Editor

The Lansing Cross country team is a force to be reckoned with as they start off to what looks to be a great season, with the first major meet having taken place on Saturday (September 19).

This year, both boy and girl runners will be competing in five kilometer races. In the past, the cross country boys have run five kilometer races while the girls have run four kilometer races. In 2015, the State Cross Country Championship will require both male and female runners to compete in five kilometer races. As a result of this decision, regular season girls’ races have been converted into five kilometer races.

With this change and the addition of new students and freshmen, this season is different than years past. A total of five freshmen have participated in varsity races already this season. The entirety of the team has been training hard and performing well.

“Everything that we have been wanting to do we have accomplished; we are on pace to be where we want to be at the end of the season,” Coach Brian Malm said.

The goal of the season is as it is every year: for both the boys and girls teams to qualify for the State Championship. Last year, the girls team qualified while a few boys qualified as individuals. The cross country coaches are adamant that the runners focus on running for the team instead of running as an individual. The term used for this kind of running is “pack running.” Practices are structured so pack running is applicable. The idea is that one runner can only carry themselves so far, but a team can carry many much farther.

Coach Malm explained that most college coaches aren’t just looking for good individual runners, they are looking for good team runners. In addition, having a collectively good team provides a better score than having a couple great runners.

Scores work by combining the places of the top five runners on a team. The team with the fewest points wins.

In the Bonner Springs meet last Saturday, the cross country team performed well. The girls varsity team placed fourth place, and the boys placed fourteenth.

Cross Country runners huddle for warmth in the 50 degree weather from Saturday morning. (Madeline Fay)

Cross Country runners huddle for warmth before their warm up in the 50 degree weather from Saturday morning. (Madeline Fay)

The next meet is Saturday, September 26, at Rimrock Farms in Lawrence, Kansas. The course is a team favorite because it’s a Univeristy of Kansas course. The Rimrock Farms Classic meet is full of character and, more importantly, competition.

Lansing has been moved up this year to the Gold Division, which is the fastest division at the meet. In past years, the Lansing cross country teams have competed in Crimson Division. The Gold Division includes teams from out of state, including teams from Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, and Oklahoma .

The goal for the teams this year is for the girls team to get into the top ten teams at Rimrock, and for the boys to get personal records.