Back to School Survival Guide

Tips and Tricks That Will Help You Survive the First Semester

Kara Fort and Marie Caraccilo

Ms. Debra Hutton works on her computer to help a student. Ms. Hutton should be contacted if there are questions about technology, including iPads, apps, Google Classroom, or Canvas.

Kara Fort

Who do I ask my questions to?:

With the new school and new technology, it can be hard to find the person who can answer a question. Thankfully, there is an easy way to differentiate who can answer what. If it is a technology question, Ms. Debra Hutton in the library or Mr. Dan Wessel should be contacted. Mr. Wessel can be contacted by email. Schedule, college, scholarship, or guidance questions should be directed to the Guidance Office, including Mrs. Hamilton, Mrs. Hess, Mrs. Wessel, and Mr. Cackler. The Guidance Office is on the second floor directly below the main staircase. Any questions concerning fees, should be directed to Mrs. Hauver, in the main office.

Signs label what is being served in the Scramble for the day. Lines two and three tend to be shorter than the first line.

Kara Fort

Lunch Tips:

The Lion Scramble is an upgrade from the old lunchroom, but it can be confusing. Some tips for the lunchroom.

• Watch out for the second line. There is another line for PBJ and sandwiches, which is often much shorter than the main course line.
  • Unlike the old school, the Scramble uses a serve yourself style. Make sure to pick up a tray and hold it so that a lunch person has no problem reaching it to put food on it.
  • Backpacks should be placed on the backs of chairs, so that no one trips while walking to dump their tray.
  • Check out the ala carte booth directly outside the Scramble for sweet and salty snacks.
  • Lunch is a great time to go to the bathroom without having to use a pass or miss class.

Dr. Hollie Becker works in her office during eighth hour. Offices can be found by both entrances and in the middle of the academic wings.

Kara Fort

Where in the world are the offices, and who is in there?:

Five to one is the ratio of offices in this school to the old school. The main office can be found right inside the visitor entrance. Mr. Dike, Mrs. Green (the nurse), Mrs. Hauver, and Mrs, Sorrel can be found there. Mr. Gray’s office is on the third floor at the top of the learning stairs, room 3304, and Mrs. Becker’s office is on the second floor at the bottom of the learning stairs, room 2304. The attendance office is right inside the student entrance, Mrs. Totleben and Mr. Mattingly can be found there. The Guidance Office is on the second floor directly below the main staircase, where Mrs. Hamilton, Mrs. Hess, Mrs. Wessel, and Mr. Cackler can be found.

The main staircase is by the front office. These stairs should be taken to easily go to the third floor from the commons.

Kara Fort

Fastest Routes to Class:

Four minutes is a tight squeeze to make it to class, so here are the fastest ways to make it class from rooms that are farthest away from each other.

• Band Room to the Debate Room (3201)
    1. Exit the band room, and proceed down the hallway by the Lion Scramble. Then, go up the stairs by Pride Rock, and turn right at the top. Take a right at the main office, and go down the hall until room 3201 is on the left.
  • Elliot’s room to room 2206
    1. Go up the stairs under the learning stairs to the second floor, and then turn left. Proceed down the hallway until room 2206 is on the right.
Room numbers are present outside of each classroom. The first digit in each number can help one determine what floor they are on.

Marie Caraccilo

How to Not Get Lost:

One of the most confusing aspects of the new school is the number of floors there are. This year, there is a total of three floors. Each floor is a giant circle and each grade’s core classes are in pods within their designated areas. Don’t be late to class, follow these tips.

• Before the dismissal bell rings at the end of your class, make a mental note of where you are going next and figure out how you are going to get there. This will decrease travel time and unnecessary confusion in the hallway.
  • Each classroom has a number located outside of the door. An easy trick to figuring out which floor you are on is to look at the first number of the closest door sign. If the first number is a two, then you are on the second floor.
  • As stated, each floor is basically a giant loop. If you can’t find your classroom, locate its floor and walk along the loop until you find the room you are looking for.
This year, there are no lockers and students must carry around all of their possessions to each of their classrooms. Pockets are utilized within this picture to help organize a student's belongings.

Marie Caraccilo
This year, there are no lockers and students must carry around all of their possessions to each of their classrooms. Pockets are utilized within this picture to help organize a student’s belongings.

Backpack Organization Tips

With the new building, comes new policies. This year, instead of issuing lockers, students will be permitted to carry their backpacks with them throughout the school and to their classes. Managing how you organize your backpack can help reduce clutter and unnecessary weight.

• Utilize pocket folders and five-subject notebooks. These are more space efficient than several single-subject notebooks.
  • Keep writing utensils out of the bottom of your bag and store them in a designated location, such as a pocket or a pencil pouch. This reduces clutter and them them more easy to locate.
  • Use all of the pockets! Using different pockets for different items will improve the organization of your backpack.

Apps You Should Have

Organizing your iPad apps into different folders will make locating them easier. Here are some suggested apps.

1. All Google apps: Classroom, Slides, Docs, and Drive.
  2. Skyward
  3. QR Reader
  4. Calculator
  5. Keynote
  6. Pages
  7. Notability
The iPad rests against the wall as it charges throughout the night. It was fully charged by morning and ready for a long day of use.

Marie Caraccilo

Charging Your iPad

With new technology, comes great responsibility. Here are some tips to ensure that your iPad is fully charged and ready to enhance your daily learning.

• Make sure that you are using the charging “brick.” Phone chargers will take substantially more time to charge.
  • At least once a month, your iPad needs to go completely dead, and then be recharged.
  • Make sure the cord is not bent and that it it plugged in all the way.
  • Charging your iPad at night before you go to bed is an easy way to ensure that it will be fully charged for school the following day.