Administrative Spotlight: Mr. Gray

A+look+inside+Mr.+Grays+office+located+at+the+top+of+the+learning+stairs.+Mr.+Gray+deals+with+the+freshman+and+sophomores+of+the+new+high+school.+
A look inside Mr. Grays office located at the top of the learning stairs. Mr. Gray deals with the freshman and sophomores of the new high school.

Jonathan Zappa

Jonathan Zappa

Jonathan Zappa and Preston Thomas

With a new school comes a new system. That system called for more administrative power. Assistant Principal Nick Gray is one of the people that received that call. A new bigger, better high school would be hard to manage with just two principals, so it would seem fit to hire more administrative help. Mr. Gray was the chosen man for the job.

“At Highland Park there was a similar system, and at Eisenhower there was a system with two principals,” Mr. Gray said. “I think Lansing will work well with this system.”

The new system comes with new challenges and responsibilities for all of the administrators. At the old high school, the only two principals were the head principal Mr. Dike, and his assistant principal, Mr. Barbo. Now, there is the addition of two, one of those being Mr. Gray.   

“The job title doesn’t mean the same at every school, it’s just what the job entails that’s different.” said Mr. Gray.

So with the new three principal system, Mr. Gray is faced with another dose of change. Luckily, he has experience with that.

“I handle freshman and sophomores, and also deal with safety in security / ISS,” Mr. Gray said. “Its pretty similar to Highland Park, and a lot more responsibility than the middle school.”

That’s not to say Lansing is a bit of a lifestyle change for him.

“Huge change,” said Mr. Gray. “The expectations of the community and the goals of the students.. not to mention the fact it’s high school versus middle school.

With a new school, and a new system, it would only make sense to bring new technology to the school. Mr. Gray’s previous job experience has somewhat geared him up for the new “all online” style of Lansing High.

Mr. Gray helps senior Brianna Mooris with the new technology the students are using. Mr. Grays previous job experience has given him a leg up with working with the new technology.

Jonathan Zappa
Mr. Gray helps senior Brianna Mooris with the new technology the students are using. Mr. Gray’s previous job experience has given him a leg up with working with the new technology.

“They had Chromebooks at the previous school I worked at,” Mr. Gray said. “So I have a little experience with the Google system.”

Along with the new school, came a new layout of course. The students seem to be struggling with it, but luckily for them, Mr. Gray got a jump start. This will allow him to help with the navigation problems.  

“Just learning the language of the building is half the battle,” Mr. Gray said. “I’ve been on duty since July 31, so I already feel like I have a head start.”

3304 would be Mr. Grays office number. When hes not out walking around the school. this is where he spends his time.

Preston Thomas
3304 is be Mr. Grays office number. When he’s not out walking around the school, this is where he spends his time.

As for the rest, Mr. Gray wakes up in the morning because of school, just like all of us. Different from most of us though,  Mr. Gray describes school with the words like, love, and enjoyable instead of the usual complaints students spit out on the daily.

“I just like to go to school,” said Mr. Gray. “I love going to school as a job, that’s why I chose it as a career.”

Mr. Gray also offered up some advice for the future to really help students moving forward.

“If you can find something that doesn’t feel like a job, but get paid for it, stick with it.” said Mr. Gray.